Two days ago I woke up in the morning and got off the bed just like on any other mornings when a friend of mine popped me this question, "what happened to your eye?" while pointing at my left eye. I am used to this question as I am well aware that a mole in my left eye might seem unusual for some people that I confidently answered, "Oh, it's already there" without having any peculiar thought in mind.
I then went into the bathroom and looked at my reflection in the mirror located right across the door. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw "oh my God what's that in my eye?" I leaned forward to get a better view of what's going on and realized so this was the thing my friend was talking about. It was quite a spot of bright red region in my eye appearing out of the blue that till now I still can't figure out what did I do that made it there.
The class resumed today after a seemingly short weekend. Since our lectures were all conducted in the Clinical Science Institute, University College Hospital Galway, I was thinking that it's better for me to go get my eye sorted out in the clinic as I afraid it might emerge to become a problem later and bother me in the soon-to-come Christmas exams. After asking for an opinion from Kak Idah, I headed on my own to the A&E department to get myself registered and examined.
I actually had no clear idea of how government hospitals work as I've never been to one even back home. I was kind of floundering around in the A&E not knowing where to go to while realizing those naughty eyes staring at me perhaps because of my Muslimah attire. I don't mind, instead I'm proud of what I wear :). After handing in a completed form to a nurse at the triage, I waited outside finishing a mind map on Leukaemia for my study group.
About half an hour later I heard name being called. I hurriedly packed my books into my bag and rushed into the A&E. My vision was checked using the Snellen chart and I was given a wrist band with my name inscribed on it neatly coiled around my wrist. I was then told to wait outside again. I continued doing the mind map when Kak Idah and Kak Ayesha came to ask for news. They gave me a bunch of supports before leaving for their whatever job. I continued waiting.
Around one hour later my name was called again. I stepped my feet into the A&E and waited, this time inside the A&E itself. As I looked around, there were plenty of people seeking medical attention in the department. Some with children, some lying on the bed with saline attached and some were very old. All walks of life. I still got the chance to continue with my work, to portray how long had I waited. Looking at the time on my phone, I afraid that I'll miss my lecture that I went to ask the nurse if I could come back at some other time today. However she convinced me that the way A&E works is kind of first come first served, as in if I miss my turn I gotta start all over again. So I was like, okay I'll wait then.
Time ran by. I knew that I'm not going to make it for the afternoon lecture. My name was called and my eyes were examined by an SHO using the opthalmoscope. She brought me to a more specialized room specifically for eye problems where she tested my vision using the Snellen chart again. Unfortunately she didn't know as to what has caused the bleeding that she wanted to refer me to his Registrar. She left me in the room to wait for the Reg. Nothing to do, I opened my book again and resumed mind-mapping. Quite a couple of minutes after that a guy came in with a friendly face, introducing himself to me. He examined my eyes and came out with the differentials: first- subconjunctival haemorrhage and second- episcleritis [highly unlikely]. I randomly asked him if the condition has anything to do with the preexisting mole in my eye. He couldn't assure me with anything that he decided to refer me to the Eye Clinic. I was given a letter to hand the receptionist in the Eye Clinic with and off I went.
In the Eye Clinic I saw many people mainly the elderlies filling the empty seats in the clinic. But not to forget there's some kids there too, perhaps presented with some congenital eye problem I thought. It was pretty much ages waiting for my name to be called. And when it was, my vision was tested using the Snellen chart again by a nurse in the Eye Clinic. She then asked me to wait outside [again]. I nearly fell asleep out of listlessness as I have finished my mind map, finally. Trying to study after rushing here and there in the hospital got me sleepy before my name was heard in the air. This time it was a Chinese-looking-but-Irish-accented-English-speaking-doctor who called my name. Quite a thorough examination of my eyes were performed, multiple artificial tears poured into my eyes. Including a stage where she anaesthesized my eyes with this fluid before beginning to measure the pressure of my eyes, and I tell you what that's so unpleasant! Then she dilated my pupils with a drug, perhaps morphine and asked me to wait outside for ten minutes [again] in order to allow the drug to exert its effect. Looking at the critical time at that hour I asked her if she could give me more time since I needed to pray. I was so determined to tell her that that I didn't care whatever she thinks. She said it was okay but I have to return by 20 to 5pm. I concurred.
Back to the Eye Clinic after praying in CSI surau Dr Lee continued examining my eyes. She even offered her collegue to have a look at my left eye since she thought a nevus- the mole in my eye is something extraordinary- perhaps in Ireland. She also went to ask a more experienced opthalmologist in the Eye Clinic to attend to me to confirm that everything is well. Here the waiting comes again.
All in all thank God that everything has been sorted out. Dr Lee made me an appointment to meet up again somewhere after the Christmas holidays to get a photo of my eye taken and another appointment about two years from now as a follow up for the 'congenital' nevus in my eye. Alhamdulillah it's over. No more waiting and backaching of too long sitting in the waiting room. And I missed two lectures today. Phew.
A&E again? No thanks!
-typing with dilated pupil-
I then went into the bathroom and looked at my reflection in the mirror located right across the door. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw "oh my God what's that in my eye?" I leaned forward to get a better view of what's going on and realized so this was the thing my friend was talking about. It was quite a spot of bright red region in my eye appearing out of the blue that till now I still can't figure out what did I do that made it there.
The class resumed today after a seemingly short weekend. Since our lectures were all conducted in the Clinical Science Institute, University College Hospital Galway, I was thinking that it's better for me to go get my eye sorted out in the clinic as I afraid it might emerge to become a problem later and bother me in the soon-to-come Christmas exams. After asking for an opinion from Kak Idah, I headed on my own to the A&E department to get myself registered and examined.
I actually had no clear idea of how government hospitals work as I've never been to one even back home. I was kind of floundering around in the A&E not knowing where to go to while realizing those naughty eyes staring at me perhaps because of my Muslimah attire. I don't mind, instead I'm proud of what I wear :). After handing in a completed form to a nurse at the triage, I waited outside finishing a mind map on Leukaemia for my study group.
About half an hour later I heard name being called. I hurriedly packed my books into my bag and rushed into the A&E. My vision was checked using the Snellen chart and I was given a wrist band with my name inscribed on it neatly coiled around my wrist. I was then told to wait outside again. I continued doing the mind map when Kak Idah and Kak Ayesha came to ask for news. They gave me a bunch of supports before leaving for their whatever job. I continued waiting.
Around one hour later my name was called again. I stepped my feet into the A&E and waited, this time inside the A&E itself. As I looked around, there were plenty of people seeking medical attention in the department. Some with children, some lying on the bed with saline attached and some were very old. All walks of life. I still got the chance to continue with my work, to portray how long had I waited. Looking at the time on my phone, I afraid that I'll miss my lecture that I went to ask the nurse if I could come back at some other time today. However she convinced me that the way A&E works is kind of first come first served, as in if I miss my turn I gotta start all over again. So I was like, okay I'll wait then.
Time ran by. I knew that I'm not going to make it for the afternoon lecture. My name was called and my eyes were examined by an SHO using the opthalmoscope. She brought me to a more specialized room specifically for eye problems where she tested my vision using the Snellen chart again. Unfortunately she didn't know as to what has caused the bleeding that she wanted to refer me to his Registrar. She left me in the room to wait for the Reg. Nothing to do, I opened my book again and resumed mind-mapping. Quite a couple of minutes after that a guy came in with a friendly face, introducing himself to me. He examined my eyes and came out with the differentials: first- subconjunctival haemorrhage and second- episcleritis [highly unlikely]. I randomly asked him if the condition has anything to do with the preexisting mole in my eye. He couldn't assure me with anything that he decided to refer me to the Eye Clinic. I was given a letter to hand the receptionist in the Eye Clinic with and off I went.
In the Eye Clinic I saw many people mainly the elderlies filling the empty seats in the clinic. But not to forget there's some kids there too, perhaps presented with some congenital eye problem I thought. It was pretty much ages waiting for my name to be called. And when it was, my vision was tested using the Snellen chart again by a nurse in the Eye Clinic. She then asked me to wait outside [again]. I nearly fell asleep out of listlessness as I have finished my mind map, finally. Trying to study after rushing here and there in the hospital got me sleepy before my name was heard in the air. This time it was a Chinese-looking-but-Irish-accented-English-speaking-doctor who called my name. Quite a thorough examination of my eyes were performed, multiple artificial tears poured into my eyes. Including a stage where she anaesthesized my eyes with this fluid before beginning to measure the pressure of my eyes, and I tell you what that's so unpleasant! Then she dilated my pupils with a drug, perhaps morphine and asked me to wait outside for ten minutes [again] in order to allow the drug to exert its effect. Looking at the critical time at that hour I asked her if she could give me more time since I needed to pray. I was so determined to tell her that that I didn't care whatever she thinks. She said it was okay but I have to return by 20 to 5pm. I concurred.
Back to the Eye Clinic after praying in CSI surau Dr Lee continued examining my eyes. She even offered her collegue to have a look at my left eye since she thought a nevus- the mole in my eye is something extraordinary- perhaps in Ireland. She also went to ask a more experienced opthalmologist in the Eye Clinic to attend to me to confirm that everything is well. Here the waiting comes again.
All in all thank God that everything has been sorted out. Dr Lee made me an appointment to meet up again somewhere after the Christmas holidays to get a photo of my eye taken and another appointment about two years from now as a follow up for the 'congenital' nevus in my eye. Alhamdulillah it's over. No more waiting and backaching of too long sitting in the waiting room. And I missed two lectures today. Phew.
A&E again? No thanks!
"Allahumma 'afini fi badani
Allahumma 'afini fi sam'i
Allahumma 'afini fi basari"
-typing with dilated pupil-





akak
eye clinic, ophta or opto..
tapi bab dilate2 tuh cam opto :D
sebab rumate salu cite and depa salu buat test on us
so how's ur eye skang?
Eye Clinic yg akak pegi ni doctor yg kat A&E [accidents & emergencies] yg refer.. kat hospital yg sama jgk, tmpt akak blaja huhu. so opthal la kn :). akak blm start blaja opthalmology jadi xtau pape sgt pun test2 yg dia buat tu kkiki.
my eye is getting better rasanya cuma yg peliknya haemorrhage tu mcm semakin turun ke bawah, tp mengecik sikit. pape pun alhamdulillah tak effect vision. doakanla ye ;)