An extremely remarkable incident had taken place between the pages of the book of my life recently. A milestone I'd say. It LARGEly taught me the value of tawakal [sole reliance to God], ceaseless effort, positive-thinking and not to forget, friendship. At the moment I was writing this the story was never told to anyone except for a friend of mine who shared with me the rough time and lent her shoulder for me to cry on, Kak Yanti. I really appreciate that, truly. Thank you.
I'm writing this here because I want to share what I've been through in a hope that we can together learn the lessons and never let the same mistake happen again in anyone of us. Probably a bit intimidating in a sense that you might think "how could I believe in such an email?" but rather, it's the thing hidden underneath the story that I deem important for us to highlight now.
It was 2 weeks back that I received this email from 'AIB' asking me to update the details of my bank account. As you know I here in Ireland use the Allied Irish Banks [AIB] internet banking to ease any money transfer and keep myself updated with the money transactions into and out of my account. Really handy I must say. With just one click you can pay the money you owe your friend even if it's just 0.01 euro at no cost! We can topup our mobile credits, pay the credit card bills and make standing orders using the internet banking. I'm aware that this technology has been used in various countries and even in Malaysia they have it there now, but i'm not sure what bank it is.
I was so convinced that the email was official and came from the AIB bank that without a doubt I quickly filled out the form. I remembered wondering why were there too many details that they wanted from me but I didn't bother to dwell on those thoughts as I was also doing something else on the net at that time. So the innocent me submitted the form and I then went downstairs to get something to eat. As I was washing the dishes I told my housemates that I received an email from AIB bank asking for the stuff and they were saying they didn't get such an email. The innocent me again replied, 'oh they might do so later I suppose'.
To cut the story short the days went by, I didn't bother to check my online bank account for I thought there's nothing to keep myself updated with. The allowance will certainly go in whenever Mara banks it in every month and the credit card bills are never a nuisance as I opted for 100% direct debit monthly to avoid from having to pay the interests for late payments. This is a bit technical now but the general consensus is, there was ideally nothing to worry about!
I then went to Scotland over the Easter break without any worries about anything. At the airport when I went to draw some money to exchange them for Sterling I noticed that the receipt showed strange amount of balance in my account. Again, I didn't bother to pay too much attention to that expecting that there might be some mistakes or whatsoever with the auto-teller machine that wrong value was detected. The Easter break was awesome.
The night when I got home after a long haul in a couple of transportations from the Scottish land- a train, flight, bus and taxi rides- as usual I switched on my laptop and went online to catch up with the updates of the things I missed over the getaway. It was about midnight time that I thought 'hmm, I've been not checking my online bank account for quite some time so lets do it now!'. I swiftly logged on to my account [ FYI I didn't set my laptop to remember my details including my passwords to stay away from any form of fraud even though I knew it's just me using the laptop anyway] and my eyes were glued to the balance stated on the balance page. I hurriedly refreshed the page thinking that there might've been errors somewhere with the online banking's calculation system. The same figure appeared. I could feel the adrenaline rush in my veins. Goosebumps started to rise on my arms. I froze in disbelief- there's only 14 euros in my account!
I darted to Kak Yanti's room next door knowing that she must've not been in bed yet at that hour. It was around 12.30ish at that time. I told her my findings from my online bank account and started to enumerate what did i do with the account days back that might've caused this. I saw two recorded transactions of unknown origin done which involved four-digited amount of money taken out from my account. I was clueless. Blank. Totally devastated.
The following second I suddenly recalled the form that I filled out the other day asking for my bank account details. Oh my God, what have i done? I couldn't believe I was that generous that I didn't think twice before giving away my personal details. I knew AIB had alarmed the account holders about fraud cases last year I think, but it was a long time ago that I had forgotten it now. If you want to know the inside of me I always have the feeling of I'm not going to face such a calamity, I'm not that unfortunate and mean people surround just other people but not me. Come on Sarah, get a life! I realized now that bad people really exist [I mean, for real!] and they could be anyone at all. Now they got me! Wasn't this scary? Instantly I was overwhelmed with insecurity and a pinch of remorse all over.
Sitting on Kak Yanti's bed with her, I became helpless and puzzled and down all at the same time that my legs shook aggressively, involuntarily and constantly. I found myself in the state of shock that my emotions all bewildered. What inflicted me most were the thought of treachery, the awareness of adversaries and the feeling of insecurity. It was like everyone's attitude is unpredictable, they could be evil at heart who knows? Astaghfirullah [Forgive me, dear God].
Kak Yanti was trying to calm me down as my legs continuously trembled whilst I was sitting next to her. We both tried to figure out what to do at that hour, and the clock illuminated that it was already 1 o'clock in the morning. Kak Yanti managed to find the AIB customer services contact number from the internet and quickly dialled up. Fortunately someone picked up the phone asking what's really happening. So I had to talk and alhamdulillah [all praises be to God] my voice was fine, I didn't really stutter or anything in terms of explaining the situation. Wasn't that a gift? Yeah it must be, absolutely.
So that lady on the phone noted my case and blocked my online account. She told me 'AIB never sends any emails asking for customers' details, not through emails...', and i was like 'yes I know that's my mistake...bla bla'. After I hung up I tried to think what should I do next? I so didn't know how to behave and how to react at that difficult point of time. Then only decided that I must walk over to AIB bank Newcastle branch tomorrow to get this thing sorted. To wait for the customer services department to call in was not enough of an effort and was not soothing my troubled mind and heart any further. That night Kak Yanti went to accompany me sleeping in my bed as I asked for it due to my intense feeling of insecurity.
I praise Allah for giving me the strength to be able to put this problem aside sequestering it from my hectic medical student life I suppose. I was still sane and able to cope with the rough times. Not too depressed to skip the attachments, or crying all day long. No. Alhamdulillah I didn't have those, even though nearly every minute the thought of remorse came and went if you know what I mean. It somehow bothered but quickly bring about the thought that Allah knows best that you'll feel much better then, insyaAllah.
"...verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest."The following day I walked over to the AIB bank Newcastle branch and spoke to the staff there about my situation. He's very concerned but he himself was not that familiar with this fraud thingy. So we just reported the case again and i had to wait for the response from AIB bank Dublin HQ about the updates. Again I received this advice of 'AIB never sends any emails asking for customers' details,...'. Ok, well noted! ;)[Ar-Ra'd, 13:28]
The day after Kak Yanti and I went to the Gardai station to lodge a report regarding this matter. The officer there convinced me that he'll going to get the detectives and the team to start digging out the issue though he did mention that there might be nothing much the Gardai could do when it comes to this fraud matter. I just kept my fingers crossed. Tawakal. Following that I received a couple of phone calls from the Gardai officer for the case to be investigated.This story has gone too far now, to make it short I received a dream-come-true call on my way to the North that weekend. On the bus, the AIB bank Newcastle branch asked me to call in to the AIB bank Dublin HQ as the HQ had something to let me know. Intrigued, I called in from inside the bus and received this happy news that sounded roughly 'even though you gave your details to the person [in other words, even though it's my fault :P], AIB has made the decision the refund the money that you lost'. Tongue-tied. I was surprised that I went asking, 'the entire amount of it?'. 'Yes **** euro has been transferred into your account today.' Speechless. Thank you God, thank you for making my dream come true. She again reminded 'AIB never sends any emails asking for customers' details...'. Ok ok very well noted! ;)
I was so thankful and glad that it appeared like it was really a dream-come-true. I was so down days before and it was bothersome enough that it pestered me with remorse and bad feelings which I couldn't totally get away from. And I have always been a type of person who finds it difficult to forget things that I encounter, fair enough then. Alhamdulillah, alhamdulillah, alhamdulillah and astaghfirullah al adzhim.
The lessons that learnt are:
1) Always put you trust in Him at the top of the list. He knows best and so He knows what's the best for you. Never be paranoid to our own God, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful.
2) I learnt the value of tawakal. This incident tested me on my faith in Him to the deepest of me. I remembered praying to Allah, please bring the money back to me, only if that's the best for me. For we know that not all things we reckon pleasant to the eyes are the things which are good for us. as well It's He who knows, The All-Knowing."And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient, who when disaster strikes them, say "Indeed we belong to Allah, and indeed to Him we will return". Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy. And is those who are the [rightly] guided."[Al-Baqarah, 2:155-157]
3) Tests are for us to muhasabah or look back on what we've done all these while. Have we been good to the people, to our parents, friends and God? Did we do what we're supposed to do accordingly? Tests may be a method used to give us a knock on the head and in a casual way asking ourselves 'hey do you realize what have you been doing?'. So apologize to everyone although we know sorry seems to be the hardest word, because i believe apologizing doesn't bring us to a level lower than the rest of us but instead it puts us to a standard of high level of virtue. Apology would make us have good relationships with others so why not? [easy to say, indeed]"But perhaps you hate a thing that it is good for you; and perhaps you love a thing that is bad for you. And Allah knows while you know not."[Al-Baqarah, 2:216]
4) It's not just in calamities that you supplicate. The concept that to supplicate means to bother is hugely wrong because God is The Most Merciful and He loves His slaves who ask from Him. It shows that we value our God and we admit His Sovereignty.
"And when affliction touches man, he calls upon Us, whether lying on his side or sitting or standing; but when We remove from him his affliction, he continues [in disobedience] as if he had never recalled upon Us to [remove] an affliction that touched him. Thus it is made pleasing to the transgressors that which they have been doing."[Yunus, 10:12]
5) Love is blind, friendship closes its eyes. Yes especially when you are away in a la-la land miles away from your beloved family, it's friends whom you've got with you. For whoever they are it's them that you'll turn to when you feel that you need someone to talk to, in person i mean obviously. Be good to your friends, appreciate them and advice them if you see their wrongdoings as that's one of the ways to show them your love. In my case now, thank you Kak Yanti xoxo."And your Lord says, "Call upon Me; I will respond to you."
6) Never believe in things bluntly especially when it comes to emails. Investigate until the authenticity is proven even though it may cost some of your time. Evil people are everywhere! I suffer from paranioa now.
7) To those who had made or had thought of making frauds, please think twice. You've no idea how much you inflicted someone's life, how much you bothered him/her just for your own personal benefits. People earn and save money for their future plans so who are you to interject and take away people's stuff without permission? Have you a heart? Imagine the hearts you have broke, the tears that has been shed and the trauma that engraved a permanent effect in someone's soul. You are so cruel, fraud-doers!8) Remember 'AIB never sends any emails asking for customers' details...'
9) And the list goes on..
I know there's loads more lessons from this incident itself that we can pick up. After all my final words are:
1] Thank you Allah, my friends and everyone around me for your support and for everything at all really. Sorry that I tried to stay put with my emotions but I'm afraid I went overboard sometimes so I dearly apologise for my grumpiness!
2] I dont want this to happen to any one of you out there. So pray hard, be extra careful and learn from my lessons.
3] Thank you AIB!
4] I pray that the criminal will get caught someday and learn from his/her mistakes if thats the best for him/her. And my favourite quote is: 'Only Allah knows best!'.
5] Every cloud has a silver lining... ;) Yeah, look at the sky outside..~
~~~~~~~~~~

Updated 26/4/09: No longer a taboo- A report from the Bank Negara of Malaysia regarding fraud cases in the country which have become more pronounced these days. For more info, click here.







Salam,
Sarah.Begitu kuat dugaan Allah nk uji kita kan.Klu kita tak sabar maesti tak dapat aper2.And,Allah ganti dgn something best pulak kat kite.
Miss u so much.Bila lah nk dtg Leeds nie.Hurmmm..dtg tau.Ain dah nak balik dah nie.wuuuuuu.Dtglah melawati blog ain.
www.nectarbee.wordpress.com.
Muaxxx
Salam ain,
Miss you very very much too. Lama sgt tak jumpa!! Wah dh final year yea. Saya ingat nk ke Leeds mgkn time summer hols ke sbb plannya balik lewat ke Msia, tp takut Ain bz je. Kalau ain ok insyaAllah saya pun ok ;)
uish... teruk jugak sarah punyer case..
'AIB never sent email to his customer' NOTED
jazakillah khairan kathira coz of ur reminder. May ur reminder help us all. InsyaAllah
Alhamdulillah, happy ending. Semoga ianya membantu semua supaya lebih berhati2! :)
banyak kali baca tetap best :d
uiks bahaya ni ujub akak nnt huhu. takdela cuma kongsi pengajaran drp pengalaman sambil practice english ;) take care! muahs
Good that you put your trust in Allah (sw). He is always there. And good that you have "learnt" your lesson as well. I don't know why would they hurt simple people like Sarah who even doesn't hurt a housefly: P
Wassalam!
thanks abdulla.
i'm reading this again when a couple of years have passed, thanking Dear God endlessly.
And noting how bad my english is in this writing makes me wanna work on it even more. ;).