• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

The World, From My Eyes

"I step aside, turn around and look naively at the world evolving around me. I surprise myself for things I've taken for granted. It's about the tiny little piece of thoughts hailed from the bottom of my mind. It's about an appreciation, expression, discovery, compassion or simply a random scribble of a soul. I believe that life's too precious to be squandered away with the mundane. It's my life. And I'm living it. The world from my eyes, an utter manifestation."

E for English (i)



[Caveat: You are just about to discover the pedantic side of me]

Steps I find useful to improve our command of English language:
  • Create bookmark tabs of these websites on your web browser, and always log on to them (at least the top one) whenever you use the internet.
    • thefreedictionary.com
      • This website is very good as you can double click on any word on the web page that you don't know their meaning even if they are not highlighted. Try it!
      • Check the pronunciation paying attention to which syllable that is emphasised. I normally click on both US and UK flags to compare them but will use the UK version. Only if they had Irish's! I learned that this is very important that when I get it correctly pronounced, my native English friends won't ask for a repeat (Repeats greatly affect my confidence).
      • Have a quick search right away when you come across a word you don't know while you surf the net*.
    • thesaurus.com
      • Learn about a selection of words with the same meaning. Particularly useful when writing. 
      • A good way of expanding your vocabulary, particularly when you know you don't read non-medical English books that much (that's me!).
  • Read news which are written in English. If you come across unfamiliar words, do the above*.
    • thestar.com
    • irishtimes.com
  • While in a lecture or talking to people 
    • Quickly jot down words you don't know or you're not too sure of their meaning on a page and look up for them when you get a chance (find the chance!)
    • Observe the speaker's way of using English- the grammar, the tense, the everything. Phrasal verbs are handy that they make you sound less bookish.
  • Thestar.com.my has an excellent section on learning the English language commonly used in the community setting. I can spend hours browsing them, but haven't been doing so for quite some time now. I sent my questions to the teacher once and I was overjoyed that he responded!
    • Thestaronline > More > Mind Our English
  • When you want to write in English, try your best not to mix the language with you mother tongue. This is of special attention to those who write blogs and want to improve their English [if you  write just for the fun really then up to you what to write so ;)]. If we use two (or more) languages in the same sentence, I find it like we're just trying to get away from the problem of not knowing how to deliver our message, not solving it. Squeeze your brain to find the right word or look up for the word you want if you got stuck. Read the sentence again see if you get you message across accurately. English is about accuracy, for example timewise when exactly the action is done is indicated by the type of tense that we use. 
  • Try to think in English. (The hardest part).
  • Practice! Practice! Practice! With native English speakers would be the best if you get the chance ;).

InsyaAllah will try to share some more if I can recall any other tips- which I am using as well.

Cheers!

*P/s: At our internship briefing the other day the we were all told that everyone  who are non-Irish by nationality would have to undergo the English language proficiency test. The class burst into laughter as the representative said, "This includes those from the UK!"

Read More 0 Throw A Word | Conceived by sarahyusof edit post

0 Throw A Word



Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

"Nun. By the pen and what they inscribe" [al-Qalam, 68:1]

  • Me
      "A humble traveler on the world of His"
  • Snippets of Me

    • An all-time Muslimah who lives to serve Allah
    • A wife to a wonderful husband
    • A daughter to great parents
    • A mother to two beautiful princesses
    • A doctor by profession
    • A part time blogger who just ventured into business

    My Family & I

    My Family & I
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ For more info about business opportunity you can reach me via phone/whatsapp at 0145213388. I will bring to you to a wonderful experience towards time and financial freedom insyaAllah. Also do contact me for purchases with special offers :)

    Premium Beautiful Corset

    Premium Beautiful Corset

    Bio Velocity Sleep Mate

    Bio Velocity Sleep Mate

    JTX Air Tracker

    JTX Air Tracker

    BB Plus Collagen

    BB Plus Collagen

    Marine Essence Range

    Marine Essence Range

    Mineral Coffee

    Mineral Coffee

    Words of Wisdom

    Followers

    Labels

    • Academic
    • Baby Food
    • Business
    • Doctor-To-Be
    • Fatimah Amanda
    • Islam
    • Leisure
    • Life
    • Love
    • Malaysia
    • Maryam Sophia
    • Milestones
    • Momderful
    • Music
    • Science
    • travelogue
    • Tsaqafah
    • YPG
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright xThe World, From My Eyes. All rights reserved.
    Blogger Layout | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Studio House Design

    Back to Top