• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

The World, From My Eyes

"I step aside, turn around and look naively at the world evolving around me. I surprise myself for things I've taken for granted. It's about the tiny little piece of thoughts hailed from the bottom of my mind. It's about an appreciation, expression, discovery, compassion or simply a random scribble of a soul. I believe that life's too precious to be squandered away with the mundane. It's my life. And I'm living it. The world from my eyes, an utter manifestation."

Long and shorts (i)


Alhamdulillah the long and short cases were finished yesterday with countless thanks to Dear God. As a good bunch of my friends elsewhere have yet to get their short and long cases over with, I am going to share a couple of questions that I was asked during the cases, just if they would be of some help ;). These are upon discussions with some friends after we did the cases. Let me know if you think otherwise okay.

[E= Examiner, S= Student, P= Patient]


An overweight gentleman in his 60s sitting in a chair with a cast on his right forearm. 

E: I want you to assess this gentleman's speech.
S: Ok. Hi my name is Sarah a final year medical student (looking at the patient). I'm going go ask you some questions  and give you some instructions for you to follow, is that ok?
P nodded.
S: May I know are you right- or left-handed?
P showed his right hand.
S: Ok can you describe the room for me?
P: errhmmerrhmmerghh.. (with fingers pointing to what he was saying, quite decipherable but with marked difficulty).
E: What are you assessing there?
S: Expressive dysphasia.
E: Ok. Is there a problem?
S: Yes, he has difficulty with the expression. E nodded.
S: I'm going to give you some instructions for you to follow and I want you to do them when I say 'now' alright. Close your eyes, lift up your left hand and touch your left ear. Now.
P closed his eyes, lifted up his left hand and touched his left ear. Perfecto!
E: So what are you assessing there?
S: Receptive dysphasia. 
E: Any problems there? 
S: He is able to follow the instructions correctly so no receptive dysphasia. 
E: Ok. Do you want to ask him about names now?
S: Yes. Looking at patient. Can you tell me what is that? Pointing at a glass of water.
P: errghher j-u-g aaaa-o-ff-- waa--ter---r
E: What did he say there?
S: A jug of water.
E: Is there a problem?
S: Yes. It wasn't a jug!
E: Ok continue. 
S: Would you like me to continue with the naming?
E: Hmm no. So having done the tests so far where do you think the problem is?
S: He has expressive dysphasia so the lesion is in the Broca's area.
E: Ok now look at the patient's face. What do you see?
S: The face nearly looked normal to my eyes so I decided to ask him a question. Can you smile for me, a wide smile.
P smiled. Very minimal weakness that it was difficult to ascertain whether that was due to poor effort.
S: Can you close your eyes really tight?
P closed his eyes. I was a bit unsure because both eyes were closed equally tightly. Should have tried to open them but wasn't too confident as was just asked to observe.
E: What do you see there?
S: Some drooping of one side of the face. 
E: Which side?
S: Patient's right side.
E: Whereabout, show it to me.
S used her finger to point at the right nasolabial fold.
E: What do you think is happening?
S: Facial nerve palsy.
E: How would you further distiguish the types?
I knew he was going to ask me this!
S: Can you wrinkle your forehead please?
No problems wrinkling the forehead.
E: What does that mean?
S: The patient is able to wrinkle his forehead which means that the forehead is spared. This is an upper motor neuron lesion.
E: Alright now look at the patient's right arm, what do you see?
S: There's a cast on the patient's right forearm.
E: What do you think has happened to the patient?
S: Syncope...er stroke.
E: Stroke! Which lobe and which side is it?
S: Left frontal lobe. Broca's is in the inferior frontal gyrus to be exact. Contralateral side in this case.
E:  What is the blood supply to that part of the brain?
S: Middle cerebral artery.

---------------

If you managed to do this quicker the examination could go on into the causes of facial nerve palsy, management of different types of stroke as such. So if you get this, do it way better ya.

Thanks juniors! So schweet :). Only noticed this today in the surau, after the exams :S.  It's the thought that counts after all isn't it?



[To be continued]

P/s:
  • Make prayers for us the Galwegian final meds pleasee ;) ;) ;). Thanks loves.
  • I'm doing neurology for the intern shadowing which starts tomorrow week. Does this mean I should become a neurologist, or a neurosurgeon hmm... 
  • Next case: How do you know if an AFib is stable or deteriorating?

 




Read More 0 Throw A Word | Conceived by sarahyusof edit post

0 Throw A Word



Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

"Nun. By the pen and what they inscribe" [al-Qalam, 68:1]

  • Me
      "A humble traveler on the world of His"
  • Snippets of Me

    • An all-time Muslimah who lives to serve Allah
    • A wife to a wonderful husband
    • A daughter to great parents
    • A mother to two beautiful princesses
    • A doctor by profession
    • A part time blogger who just ventured into business

    My Family & I

    My Family & I
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ For more info about business opportunity you can reach me via phone/whatsapp at 0145213388. I will bring to you to a wonderful experience towards time and financial freedom insyaAllah. Also do contact me for purchases with special offers :)

    Premium Beautiful Corset

    Premium Beautiful Corset

    Bio Velocity Sleep Mate

    Bio Velocity Sleep Mate

    JTX Air Tracker

    JTX Air Tracker

    BB Plus Collagen

    BB Plus Collagen

    Marine Essence Range

    Marine Essence Range

    Mineral Coffee

    Mineral Coffee

    Words of Wisdom

    Followers

    Labels

    • Academic
    • Baby Food
    • Business
    • Doctor-To-Be
    • Fatimah Amanda
    • Islam
    • Leisure
    • Life
    • Love
    • Malaysia
    • Maryam Sophia
    • Milestones
    • Momderful
    • Music
    • Science
    • travelogue
    • Tsaqafah
    • YPG
  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright xThe World, From My Eyes. All rights reserved.
    Blogger Layout | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Studio House Design

    Back to Top